Tuesday, November 3, 2009

H's Assyrian Lion

You've heard me mention about my H being a history buff... and what did he request when I told him that I'll paint him something for his birthday???

The Assyrian Lion
To see the original in photo, go here.
Wikipedia describes it as "Passing lion, glazed terracotta, reign of Nebuchadrezzar II (605 BC–562 BC), Babylon, Iraq. This panel decorated the Procession Way which ran from the Marduk temple to the Ishtar Gate and the Akitu Temple. "
To see the REAL actual thing, you will have to visit the Vorderasiatisches Museum in Berlin.

This painting really really took a long time to finish. Think I started in early April 2009. But I didn't finish in time for H's Birthday. The details required to make the cracks look 3D was really really a lot of work. This piece is indeed the most difficult of all my paintings. I only 'finished' it in September. Even now, when I look at it, I think there are spots that I could paint over. My Art teacher said that is the commom problem... you just have to tell yourself "This painting is complete. Otherwise, we will always want to go back to the old painting to improve...as art is dynamic".
Assyrian Lion
Mixed Media on CANVAS
Size = 110 cm x 70 cm
And you know what my H said? "Are you sure it is finished? It doesn't look 2500 years old!"
Of course I was upset!!
Yes. I do admit that the colour on the real thing is more subdued and dreary.... I just didn't have the energy to follow exactly....plus I was getting bored painting the same thing for months!

No comments:

Post a Comment