Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Very Old Paintings - Woman and Child

These paintings were done waaaaaaay in 2003. Actually, I didn't remember the year. I had to look at the date on the painting. These paintings were painted from postcards depicting the minority ethnic groups in Northern Thailand. Not sure if I did these while living in Bangkok or when we moved back to PJ.

Don't think I did many paintings in Bangkok... the others that I remember are
- A Lotus Flower ( ...which I had given to a friend as a gift when she launched her own law firm. Wonder if she still has it hung in her office??), and
- a Bird in Flight (which is still hung in my parents' bedroom).

Reason?
Because my S2 was still rather young (around 2 years old or maybe younger) , and I remember dragging him together with the maid all the way from our home in ChaengWattana to the Montien Hotel on Surawongse Road, where the painting classes were held. The maid will chase my little monster around the hotel until he got fed-up/tired. I usually had to leave when the little one starts his tantrums.

When we moved back to Malaysia, I joined the oil painting class over at BSC. I've been trying hard to recall what the artist name was but to no avail.. Memory is failing with idle minds!!! He was attached to Kidsports then, and he was still there (although now no longer Kidsports but some roller blading place) when we went back to KL last summer.
Anyway, these are my paintings down in the earlier years...

Woman and Child - 1
OIL on CANVAS
Size = 30 cm x 40 cm

Woman and Child - 2
OIL on CANVAS
Size = 30 cm x 40 cm


Think I did three other paintings (no photos here though) while living in Malaysia:

- a Snow Scene (which now hangs in my former 1119 English teacher's dining room, that is if she did not bring it down...have to go ask her :-P)

- Beach Scene depicting Malaysian fishing boats (this was given to my dear 'ole Si-Fu. My 'gifting' did not come out quite right... I said "This one. I don't quite like. I give this to you!" Hahahahah...but I promised him that I will paint him something he likes...and I'm working on it now.... my current WIP)

- Heliconias (which is now hung in my 4th Sis' house....When I was working on it, I tried to be smart and started with using KNIFE. The result??? Well, let's just say that the comment from my teacher was "Litt titt mm hai wahh!" (This is NOT art!). I guess he must be really appalled by my knife-painting abilities. Hahahhahaha)

2 comments:

  1. oh ya ya... u mean it's gone? No more paint shop there? And no more kidsports?

    WOW..can't believe it's changed so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TripleJin - Yes. There's still the paint shop. But NO more Kidsports. Now it's a Roller Blading and Jungle Gym place...

    ReplyDelete