Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Water Lilies

This painting took awhile to finish.... Started around the 3rd quarter of 2008 and only finishing it in 2nd quarter of 2009.

Why????
Errr...because I tried to be a SMART ALEC and tried to paint with NO reference. I did have a few photographs of water lilies, but they did NOT really correlate. So when the time came to paint the lighting direction, the different shades, shadows; it was ALL a MESS!! So each time I tried to finish the painting, I was at a loss....... and each time I just GIVE-UP.

A Lesson Learnt.
DO NOT TRY TO BE SMART!

Water Lilies
OIL on CANVAS
Size = 40 cm x 50 cm


I think Water Lilies are too pretty to be real. Their colours are so brilliant. So striking. The hues so so very bright. They are too perfect to be real. And yet...they are. I always marvel at these beauties.... and believe me, the colours in REAL Water Lilies are even brighter than in my painting.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the lovely water lilies piece...now i hv a problem...i dun hv enuf wall in my hse to hang this...

    ReplyDelete